Welcome to my infrequently maintained and often forgotten blog. My name is Tom Butler, I'm a 26 year old web developer with an interest in OOP, coding best practices and a huge advocate of convention over configuration and separation of concerns. Since posting several PHP and MVC related articles/blog posts here three years ago I've had a very positive response. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read them and send feedback.
Three years on, my own knowledge has vastly improved and I plan on posting more articles. I have several half finished articles that I finally have the time and inclination to get around to completing.
- MVC In PHP
- 12/04/2013 - PHP: PSR-0: Pretty Shortsighted, Really
- 18/03/2013 - Using a Dependency Injection Container to simplify Routing in an MVC framework
- 14/03/2013 - Dice - A minimalist Dependency Injection Container for PHP
- 23/01/2013 - PHP: Annotations are an abomination
- 14/12/2012 - The importance of getting terminology correct
- 10/10/2012 - Handling dependencies / The "courier" anti-pattern.
- 02/10/2012 - Empty interfaces are bad practice
- 12/08/2012 - Why static methods/variables are bad practice
- Dealing with large amounts of checkbox data in PHP/MySQL
- Using factories to abstract object creation
- ...and what I have had many requests for: A complete MVC example with database access and adding/updating records.
- MVC In PHP
- Dependencies in code